Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Whats on my Easel


On May 10 the fantasy art world lost a living legend Frank Frazetta. His work influenced me greatly as a youth and continues today. The thing that made him special was that he created his own defining archetypes. Whether it was a battle worn Barbarian or a beautiful Martian princess, he created these visual archetypes that will stay with us for a long time. When people say "That's a Frazetta girl" you don't think of Kate Moss you think of Jennifer Lopez, you know exactly what they are talking about, that's the impact of the mans work on the genre.
I never had the chance to meet him regretfully, but through his visions I could see his raw passion for life and art in general. Without sounding melo-dramatic I will never forget the first time I laid my eyes on a Frazetta painting it ignited my imagination into overdrive and my desire to cut my own artistic path.

I created a Frazetta tribute piece and if you saw my webpage splash page you can see the BW version and here is the under-drawing in Charcoal and white pastels for the oils I will be painting.

I'm having tons of fun with this. How can you not enjoy a battle scene with an out of his mind charging warrior, sub-human baddies and beautiful tied up women?.


2 comments:

CGriffin said...

What ground are you working on here? Gorgeous, complicated scene, truly. Frank would be proud. :D

Targete said...

Thanks CGriffin. The ground is pencil on masonite.

Share

Share |